Sunday, May 29, 2011

How to Move Columns in TweetDeck

I'm usually pretty good with software, but social networking often leaves me baffled (read: "feeling like an idiot"). You'd think I'd be used to that after over a decade in the computer field, but no.

After reading Kristen Lamb's terrific book, We Are Not Alone, I got excited and downloaded TweetDeck at the same time I first created my Twitter account.

Yikes! Talk about jumping into the deep end of the pool.

My first mistake was to simply type the word "writing" into one of the Search columns. Holy Moly there's a lot of tweeting about "writing" going on in the world! Freaked me out, so after I figured out how to delete the column, I re-read Kristen's advice and realized I should be using hashtags (#) in my Search columns.

That worked out better. Now I've got a column for #amwriting and #amediting, and of course, #MyWANA. But I still didn't like the way my columns were organized. TweetDeck came with stuff I didn't want in my line of vision when I opened it up. But today while scrutinizing my TweetDeck columns, I came across this link: Patrick Thunstrom's TweetDeck Learning Guide. There's some great stuff in there. Wish I'd started with that!

After reading a few of Patrick's terrific posts, I was emboldened to look around and discovered this neat little icon on the bottom of each column.


See the arrow that points to the left? Just click it and it will move the column over to the left. Voila!


And now my TweetDeck looks like this:

I don't know if anyone else has the TweetDeck issues I've had, but just in case, I thought I'd share. If your TweetDeck columns aren't where you want them, try it out.

If you have any other TweetDeck advice you'd like to share, please leave it in a comment. And check out Patrick's Guide!

Love to All and Happy Networking!

Linsey

2 comments:

  1. Glad I helped you solve your Tweet Deck problems! Rearranging the columns is one of the keys I found to keeping myself sane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patrick. I'm thinking your guide is going to help me with a lot more. Sanity is at a premium around here, LOL. Thanks for writing it!

    ReplyDelete